All the people who object to Romney because of his religious affiliation seem to be Huckabee supporters:
Pastors for Huckabee:
1) "Are Christians Bigiots If They Can Not Support Mitt Romney Because He Is A Mormon?"
2) "Huckabee Ask; Does Mormonism Teach That Jesus and the Devil were Brothers? The Answer is Yes! Here is the Proof."
From Iowa Likes Mike (moderating comments . . . and takes a more moderate stand . . . but down deep is trying to defend Huck's injection of the "Jesus/Satan Brothers" doctrine into the race):
1) Is Mike against Mormons?
2) "A Note About the Mormon Issue"
Via the Caucus Cooler (back in action . . . most of us are still convinced it's a McCain blog in hiding): An email from a Iowa legislator, Craig Adamson of Marion, IA, states "Mormonism is a cult" and uses that logic to convince other Iowans that Romney should be rejected (actually, I have no confirmation that this guy's with Huckabee. But chances are . . .)
The Baptist Press seems to be interjecting themselves into the debate:
- They've got a 6 part series (up to part 4 currently. . . Part 1 here) about Mormonism.
- This one tells Baptists how to respond if Mormon missionaries come to the door.
- Oh, and they're defending Huckabee as a martyr whose being targeted because of his faith.
- And lest there be any doubt . . . their alternating ticker in the top right corner has a picture of Romney with the words "Romney and Mormonism". Shameless. Do you see the LDS website freaking out that Huckabee's a Baptist and bringing forth articles to attack his faith?
Now, all of this is not Huckabee's fault per se. His supporters can do/say what they want and will. However, I don't believe he's been at all clear in denouncing and condemning this line of opposition to Romney's candidacy. He and his organization should seek to counsel their supporters to leave these debates to the theologions, apologists, and chruch leaders. Let's keep this OUT of politics.