Wednesday, August 02, 2006

My Ames Experience Last Saturday


I drove over to the event with my brother-in-law, Karl Basham, Illinoisians for Mitt blogger Jason Bonham (below), and four of our children amonst us (aged 5-7).
We arrived a few minutes early and I ran into (and said "Hi" to) Doug Gross and David Kochel. I also met political columnist, David Yepsen, and RGA operative (and native Iowan) Gentry Collins, for the first time. A few people came up to me and mentioned that they recognized me from the blog and liked what I was doing.
Romney arrived in the room as people were eating the Brats, Hamburgers, and, of course, corn on the cob (hey, it's Iowa!). There was an immediate focus on him and the supporters and cameras came-a-calling quickly. I introduced Jason to him and snapped their photo.

Then I had a breif moment to speak with Romney. First he chuckled and said that he liked my "Iowans for Romney" pin (thanks to Jim Kirkpatrick for getting these done up . . . boy did they go quickly!) I asked Gov. Romney about his son in medical school at Tufts (and just got a great score on USMLE Step I--the first of the series of lisencing test.. He's starting his third year and is interested in Cardiology as a specialty . . . I, of course, put in a plug for my specialty, Ophthalmology.


More pictures and commentary to follow.

2 comments:

IOWACAUCUS2008 said...

It was great to have Laurie meet you, Laura, her sister, and your inlaws at the Cedar Rapids event. Also nice to meet Jason Bonham from the Illinois for Romney site. "Iowans for Romney" is making an impact!

Jim Kirkpatrick
http://theiowacaucusreport2008.blogspot.com/

Big Jay said...

Hey, cool photos. Is Mitt photoshopped in there? Just kidding.