The article is compiled by a group called "MassResistance" whose 14 members (TIC) come onto the Romney Blogs frequently to copy and paste their whole diatribe. Their thesis is:
Indeed, this report will demonstrate that Romney was probably the most pro-abortion and pro-gay rights Republican official in the nation for the last decade.This statement is utterly laughable on many levels:
- He hasn't even been a "Republican official" for a decade. The only political office he's ever held where he has an actual record is as MA Gov 2003-2006
- Gay rights groups and the liberal media incessantly lambaste Romney for his conservative actions/statements as Governor.
- "The most pro-abortion and pro-gay rights Republican official?"--ever heard of Lincoln Chafee, Mark Foley, Rudy Giuliani, George Pataki, Chuck Hagel, Michael Bloomberg, Olympia Snowe or the THOUSANDS of other Republican officials who ARE ACTUALLY pro-abortion and/or pro-gay rights? Romney IS pro-life and against same sex marriage AND civil unions.
Now for some clarification on the specific issues/accusations:
- Top 10 RINO? . . . Human Events Online has more recently semi-recanted for including Romney in this list and now their main objection to his potential success seems to be "The Mormon Issue". See link here (an article in which they seem to say everybody is an unacceptable or unelectable candidate):
Mitt Romney is an interesting character. Although he is the outgoing governor of the very liberal state of Massachusetts and was named as one of the Top 10 RINOs (Republicans in Name Only) less than a year ago in HUMAN EVENTS, he's not as liberal as he might appear at first glance. He opposed raising taxes in Massachusetts, balanced the budget, fought gay marriage (although unfortunately, he lost) and has flip flopped on abortion (He now has a pro-life stance). He's even publicly calling himself a " conservative Republican." On the other hand, according to recent polls, even if you set aside the debate about how conservative he is or isn't, the "Mormon issue" is starting to look like an insurmountable obstacle to his candidacy. According to Rasmussen Polling, 43% of Americans and 53% of Evangelicals say that they, "wouldn't consider voting for a Mormon candidate." For good or ill, that probably means that Romney is unelectable.
- Speaking of "The Mormon Issue" . . . "But all the polls say people won't vote for a Mormon as their President!" . . . I wrote this piece several months ago explaining how flawed such polling is, espeicially if they are trying to suggest that people won't want to vote for Romney because he's LDS.
- On the abortion issue, I strongly recommend reading this article: "A Pro-Life Perspective on a Mitt Romney Candidacy". (Also, keep in mind that both George HW Bush and Ronald Reagan were "pro-choice" prior to running for president (Reagan even signed the California law that essentially allowed "aboriton on demand", yet became a strong "pro-life" champion as president.)
- Gay Rights Issues: The MSM is on this "kick" now too . . .see this Boston Globe article and this New York Times piece in the last two days. Bottom line, he has NEVER been in favor of gay marriage or civil unions but he has also always been against discrimination of gays. See a more complete explanation here.