Thursday, September 28, 2006

More Info on Rants Joining Commonwealth PAC

From O. Kay Henderson from the Radio Iowa Blog.

House Speaker Christopher Rants of Sioux City says he won't get a paycheck from Romney's Commonwealth PAC. "I am a volunteer...I think it's wrong to do otherwise...It would be prohibited by law to do otherwise, so the governor's got me on the cheap. I mean, this is just all my time on my nickle," Rants says. "I think that's the right way to handle it and that's what I'm intent on doing."

Rants met one-on-one with McCain, Pataki and other potential G-O-P presidential candidates "on their turf," asked what Rants calls his "20 questions" -- and he settled on Romney. "I saw in Governor Romney a leader that I could put my trust in, somebody that I felt would inspire other Republicans to follow, I thought somebody who looks beyond just national security issues but talks about economic security at home. (We) talked about some of the challenges the country faced I thought in a fairly direct manner," Rants says. "I hope the governor chooses to keeps this alliance moving forward and I'm certainly in it for the long haul."

For his part:
Romney says he's "delighted" Rants is working with him. "Our highest priority is to get Jim Nussle elected Governor of Iowa, at the same time to see the Iowa House remain in Republican hands," Romney says. "It's kind of a close race right now."


Let's make sure Nussle gets elected!

Also, for those wanting to hear part of the press conference you can hear it here.

P.S. The Boston Globe has covered this as well.

2 comments:

IOWACAUCUS2008 said...

This is an excellent acquisition for the Romney '08 camp.

Anonymous said...

I was on board with Romney till Rants came aboard. Did anyone think this out?