Dr. James Carafano a senior research fellow for defense and homeland security at The Heritage Foundation, said in a piece called “Olympic Sized-Security” the following: “The 2002
Romney’s HS resume is strong and speaks for itself:
He sits on the federal Department Homeland Security’s Advisory Council (a branch of the Executive Branch Cabinet)
He Co-chairs the National Governor’s Association Homeland Security Committee. Two of the letters he co-authored in this role can be found here (to the U.S. House) and here (to the U.S. Senate).
He oversaw and implemented the complex HS plans of the Salt Lake Olympics, both before and after 9/11, carrying off the Games without any major security glitches or events. Details of this experience can be found in Romney's book, "Turnaround: Crisis, Leadership, and the Olympic Games" (two chapters: “Securing the Olympic Games” and “September 11”).
As Governor of
1) His state recently became one of only 10 states nationwide to receive a the highest grade for disaster preparedness (See CBS story).
2) He proactively led
3) The Massachusetts Avian Flu disaster plan has been held up as a model that the CDC and other officials have praised.
Sentinel HS testimonies/speeches by Romney:
1) Testimony to U.S. Senate Governmental Affairs and Homeland Security Committee on
2) Testimony to U.S. House Select Committee on Homeland Security given on
3) Lectured at The Heritage Foundation (conservative think tank group) on
4) Testimony to U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation on
5) Lectured and answered questions at The Heritage Foundation on
The above testimonies and speeches obviously contain much overlapping material. In blog entries to come I will distill them down into some of the more points and quotes.
Since today is Independence Day the thought came to my mind that many in our world seek to destroy our freedoms. Romney is the candidate who is most qualified to help prevent such attacks on our nation as well as lead us through any crisis that may occur. He is the man I would want as my President should crisis occur.